Monday, November 5, 2012

Part 3: Potential


What are we capable of? What are the limits of our ability? It’s a question everyone asks themselves at some point or another. It’s a question that can give us hope and help us to find where we fit in our lives. What is our potential? Why are we here? Some people never live to their full potential. Others don’t realize what they are capable of. In One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest the patients at the mental hospital are unaware of their potential. For many years they have been conditioned to believe by Nurse Ratched that they would be lost in the outside world. That they are capable of nothing good and they can’t fit out beyond the walls, in place with society. In part 3 of the novel McMurphy sets the stones for them to realize they have worth, that they have the ability to surprise themselves. For example, when the gang stop at a gas station before they reach the docks, they are confronted by a gas attendee that tries to take advantage of them because he believes them to be too mentally ill to put up any fight. McMurphy tells the gas attendant that they are all crazy psychopathic murderers and this strikes fear in the attendant. The other patients realize that they can use their mental illness to an advantage; they can cause people to become intimidated by them and this is a source of power. They don’t have to fear the outside world as much because the people on the outside fear them as well, maybe even a bit more. Another example is when McMurphy refuses to help his fellow patients while out at sea. This causes fear in everyone but they soon realize their self worth. They don’t need McMurphy to catch fish, or to have a good time. They have the potential to do these things on their own, they are surprised by how much they are capable of and this brings out a newfound confidence in everyone.

What am I capable of?  It’s a question I ask myself every day it feels like. Sometimes I abuse it I think. How can I abuse a question you may ask yourself? Well, when I’m lying in bed, doing nothing productive with my life I ask myself this question. I’m confident that I could be successful in life. I’m confident in my abilities and I see myself as an intelligent being. I’m just lazy, and if I wanted to go out and do something productive I could. I know what I’m capable of; the problem is that society doesn’t know. That’s a major character flaw of mine I think. I expect things to just happen for me, like my dream job will just come to me in a silver platter and I won’t have to put any work behind it. I need to find a wind of ambition to come beneath me and throw me where I want to go. I want to do things in my life and I want to be someone of merit. I’m just super lazy, hopefully this is something I can work on.

I think like in One Flew Over The Cuckcoo’s nest society acts somewhat like Ratched in a way... What I mean is, we are told most of our lives that if we don’t do certain things we can’t be what we want to be. We must fit into society’s mold of how our lives must be. We must go through high school, and after that’s over we must go directly to university or college. While we’re there we must get a degree of some sort, and then begin looking for a job. After acquiring a good job you must then settle down, marry someone, start a family so then your kids can start the same bullshit cookie cutter life that we are all expected of doing. After all that, 50+ years of working you must retire and spend the rest of your days probably living in a nursing home until you die. I say screw all that, screw the established thought of what everyone thinks your life should be. Do what makes you happy, do things at your own pace, choose your life path and don’t let others choose for you. We only get one life, live it to your own max potential. You never know what’s out there for you if you don’t go and find it. Live it up!

3 comments:

  1. Hey,
    So I read your blog and agree with your opinion of having to work for what you want, and not just expect it. I have had similar experiences where I've thought about how many skills I have, and how I want to change the world, but feel helpless when I examine my situation. I can blame society, for not blessing me with the money to be able to afford everything I need to succeed, or not as you said, handing me everything on a silver platter, but what benefit would that have. I think society deceives us into believing that everything is just supposed to flow seamlessly into the next stage of life, but that's where they trick you. You need to make your own choices to make things better, and not rely on outside forces to change it for you, like when McMurphy let them catch the fish. The men are only able to become stronger when they realize they don’t need the help, unlike Cheswick who relied entirely on McMurphy for strength. I enjoyed your blog a lot so thanks for writing it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your theory here. I say that everyday.. ive been on my own since i was 16 years old working my ass off to put a roof over my head, i'd have love to have things handed to me,especially after what i know now. i never got the chance to go to college or finish high school for that matter and yet somehow i found myself working at a high end car dealership and working my way up the ladder until i was offered a great job as an even co-ordinator for general motors and another job at bmw which i turned down...and let me tell you i never ever saw me turning down bmw but i did, i thought everything was grand untill...i wanted more money, well they wouldnt give it to me,,,i needed more schooling if i wanted more pay, so theats where i am now. i think its not a cookie cutter people have instilled in us to fullfill but more so they tell us this because they are older and wiser and know that if you want to have an easy life go to school, if you want to work youre ass off your whole life dont..then again i know many people who dont care would rather be happy and put everything on credit. who cares they say, me my moms not leaving me anything but debt, my boyfriends the same. i dont want that i dont want my kids to have to be stressed out and financially strapped because i wanted to enjoy my life, we need to find a happy medium, i dont make what i want right now cash wise but i dont cut myself off i know i still need to spend and have fun or id go completely bonkers and end up in the combine with the boys and the nurse, i pay my bills pay my rent bank some and spend the rest, when i have kids and obligations im sure ill change it up a bit, but i will not ever be that person who owes money to anyone or any place, not me i like not having a car payment every month and worried if i loose my job if they;ll take it away, my own personal style of mental stability, just like when Mcmurphy wouldnt help they boys on the fishing trip, they had to be thrown out there to fend for themselves, just as i did i was out at 16 no where to go no family but withing a year i went from that to working at a high end car dealership!! i did it i knew they would too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up some very good points about self worth and potential. But, for the patients, what is the alternative? Yes, they’re being subjected to less than perfect treatment, but in those days there probably weren’t many alternative methods. For as they know, they do not belong in society. McMurphy’s advice and teachings can and did have a positive impact on their lives, but how far can this go? Will they be able to be “normal”? Probably not. Their anxiety will bring the best of them in most situations, and the effect of McMurphy’s advice will likely fade away in some time. Their mind and feelings have been forged into their mind, and it’ll take a lot more than unconventional treatment and medication to fix it.

    You also bring up some very good points about how we don’t live up to our potential. How many product lives are wasted due to addictions (drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc). Perhaps the patients inside the ward understand this, and want to rejoin society with a fresh start, to live up their life. I would be very nice to know why the majority of the patients voluntarily committed themselves. Not why, because we already know this for the most part, but what for. What’s their story, what they plan on doing about it, and what their ultimate goal is. This can relate to a narrative structure. The introduction would be their problem, how it all begun and what started it. The conflict could be their time in the ward, their struggle between sane and insane and the struggle of power between themselves and the system. The resolution could be their demise (Cheswick), or their achievements (McMurphy winning battles with Big Nurse), or confronting their biggest issues (Chief opening up).

    ReplyDelete