Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Journal # 6



Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows. If you could retain one childhood characteristic, what would it be and why?

If I could keep one characteristic of myself from my childhood it would be how painfully ignorant I was to the world around me. When crossing the street and hanging out at the connivence store was considered traveling. When it didn't matter what I did, I was never afraid, nothing could hurt me. Now a days I feel like my mind is polluted with thing I've read and stuff i've experienced and seen.

The world can be a fun place, don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to be alive. I just can't take all the miserable things that happen everyday. As I get older I feel like the fun times blend together and the worst times of my life stick out like a sore thumb. I was sitting on my couch the other day, flipping through channels, and I came across a infomercial for Sick Kids. Despite my better judgement I sat and watched the whole thing and couldn't help but feel disgusted that I live in a world where such terrible things as childhood cancer is possible. I'd rather not know, I'd rather have my childhood ignorance and carry on blissfully unaware of what's going on, perfectly content with the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment